This challenge is found here. My goal is to achieve the Constable level by reading6 books from the Golden Age of mysteries (published prior to 1960) during 2019: 1 from each category of the Detective Notebook below. Read all about it and join in!
My goal level will increase as the books get read... In 2018 I attained Chief Inspector level at 24 books.
Photo from Grand Valley State University Police Academy by Rick VanGrouw
click to enlarge
Titles below are links to my reviews.
- (Color in title): The Black Heart by Sydney Horler (1928)
- (Means in title): Give 'Em the Ax by A. A. Fair (1944)
- (Timing of crime is crucial): The Perfect Crime by Ellery Queen (1942), in which several events, including the murder, occur over a span of 10 minutes; and analysis of the sequence of the events reveals the murderer.
- (On an island): Footbridge to Death by Kathleen Moore Knight (1947), which occurs on Penberthy Island off Massachusetts. (Note - started the book in Dec 2018, so the review post has that date on it, finished it in Jan 2019)
- (Other country): The Come Back by Carolyn Wells (1921), in which the first half of the book takes place in Labrador, Canada.
- (Locked room): Deep Lake Mystery by Carolyn Wells (1928)
- (Poison): And Be a Villain by Rex Stout (1948), in which two victims are poisoned by cyanide.